Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to query what the overall benefits of each of these products are (price aside) when being used as the main protection/underseal?

Once all rust is removed, and thoroughly degreased and a fresh coat of electrox is used - which of the above titled products offers the best protection?

Cavities i was aiming to us S50 with the spray nozzle (box sections).

However being a white car i think a white underside would look pretty neat (only available in epoxy mastic).. where as the UB is just black to my understanding.

Im reading that they both have excellent anti-corrosion properties and both have excellent abrasion resistance. For wheel arches etc susceptible for stone chips (being a track/rally car) I figured the 2k epoxy mastic may have been a better solution. If its anything like por15 Hardnose paint which you can hit with a hammer and remains solid.

Advice is appreciated.

Cheers :thumb:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
68 forum views and no replies:tumbleweed:

I'll have to call them this morning as need to order asap - will (with a bit of luck removing the remains of the old stuff) be doing it this weekend.

Any advice is appreciated :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
What was the answer Jessop? I'd be interested to know. BH used to answer questions on here very promptly but seem too busy now - that's a shame because there is not a huge amount of info on BH products on other enthusiast forums. Most people have not heard of them. This forum was probably the best and cheapest advertising they could get and it's unfortunate that it has dwindled away.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Subscribed :thumb: I work on quite a few track and race cars, and after having done an Evo 7 in white (not BH products) I'll definitely be interested in BH's epoxy product (subject to their answer of course) The one I used was so bloody messy to apply and whilst durable enough up to now there is no way that you could take a hammer to it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Basically I was advised the epoxy is more than strong enough for the full job. But was recommended to use some waxy product or stone chip in very high impact areas such as wheel arches which dont have arch liners for example.

Also there will be a stone chip type product available within the next few weeks and to keep am eye on the website for this. Unfortunately it won't be available in white.

3dom - I'll post up in here or link a project thread in the next week or two and let you know how it goes.
I was recommended 3 litres of epoxy which when combined with 3 litres of the electrox as primer adds up to be best part of 200 quid. Eye watering compared to a tub of waxoyl and etch primer.
Judging by the reviews for durability this epoxy stuff similar to the stuff from rust.co.uk this should be the business though.

Watch this space

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the update. BH stuff is not cheap, but I have been happy with the things I've used so far like Deox C and Surfex. I didn't find the Deox Gel so good. In my wheelarches I planned to use Upol Gravitex - gets good reviews and can be overpainted.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Still havent got round to using the epoxy unfortunately.

It's taking aaaages to remove all the old underseal still. planned a full weekend for it, only done the middle / front section (anything from foor floorpan back, sills and rear arches need doing!)

my thoughts.

Let you know how it goes. Hoping to get back down there asap before it goes rusty (had to leave a fair bit of itt bare for now)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nothing that i've seen yet.

However i have just put on first coat of Epoxy Mastic. Goes on pretty light and runs after a few minutes on vertical services. Definitely requires multiple coats as you can see here.

·
Bilt Hamber UK
990 Posts
The product is very resin heavy, over extended paint systems certainly obliterate the surface well but fail as a barrier due to the particle packing density. EM is very very tough and water proof due to the resin content and type, however this "light" look is a result of that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I intend on applying a second coat to get good coverage and see how it looks from there. Used a litre so far so have two to go if necessary.

Would you say the underside of the car should be fine without applying any stone chip above it? I understand this stuff is very hard wearing and waterproof? I'm unsure if the occasional stone flicking up on the undercarridge would damage the paint?

Without a paint thickness gauge, would you say two coats would suffice, or would you reccomend 3 ?

Also, is there any news of the BH stone chip availability we discussed on the phone a few weeks ago ? :)

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Also, is there any news of the BH stone chip availability we discussed on the phone a few weeks ago ? :)
+1. Contacted you via website about this and you were saying soon. Going to have to buy some very soon and was wanting to try it otherwise I'm going to go for some tetrosyl. Even if you could let us know when it'll be released :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad I found this thread, I've been wondering what's best, tought paint or underseal type stuff. It seems they both have their place. The best way is to use the epoxy and, for added protection in certain areas, use the stone chip/underseal type stuff. Makes sense.

The stone chip stuff mentioned in this thread, I am going to assume that this is the now available UB & UC?

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Glad I found this thread, I've been wondering what's best, tought paint or underseal type stuff. It seems they both have their place. The best way is to use the epoxy and, for added protection in certain areas, use the stone chip/underseal type stuff. Makes sense.

The stone chip stuff mentioned in this thread, I am going to assume that this is the now available UB & UC?
UB and UC are both waxes ub for underbody and uc is clear so can be used where clear protection is required.

Don't think the stonechip was released.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I`m not knocking Blit Hammer, I hear their stuff is some of the best around.
However, Dynitrol 4941 is amazing stuff and looks thicker than the UB product that seems thin to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.