Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I am starting to consider a move to a diesel hatch of some description over the next 6 months or so.

£3,500 budget and must be fairly fun to drive.

I am wanting something to use most days as my main car so it must be reliable and usable in all weather conditions but also able to raise a smile on a twisty road when the mood strikes. The ability to carry a reasonable amount of stuff would help too for weekends visiting family in Wales (hence the hatch part).

Any modifications would be minor and down the line so the basic cars must be up to the job.

So far I am thinking of the Fabia VRS, Ibiza TDI Cupra (just, though the suspension on my pd130 sport was hard/crashy enough!) and Focus Mk1 TDCI Sport.

Thoughts very much appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Focus is a good car imo but not the quickest at all even with a remap.
Also will most probably have some worn suspension parts which can get costly to replace.
Fabian Vrs is a bargain performance diesel, I'd choose that over the Ibiza.
Being vag parts, remap, suspension very easy to get and fit.

I'd pay a bit more and get one of these (this one is within your budget but from a very quick search)
http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classi...words/Sport/postcode/ng118hd/page/1?logcode=p

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Fabia VRs would be my choice from that bunch.
What about astra 1.9SRi or Corsa 1.7cdti Sri.

I had a 05 corsa 1.7 and it was a very good car. Nippy enough and did up to 65mpg on a long run when full up. It didn't handle that badly either.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
320d is interesting- I like the thoughts of it as a driver's car, my only issue would be its usability as it could be trickier (albeit more fun) in winter and poor weather. Also no seat down/hatch option bar the estate to help with trips to Wales to see family

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fabia VRs would be my choice from that bunch.
What about astra 1.9SRi or Corsa 1.7cdti Sri.

I had a 05 corsa 1.7 and it was a very good car. Nippy enough and did up to 65mpg on a long run when full up. It didn't handle that badly either.
Mmmm neither quite appeals/excited me I'm afraid. I know we are talking about 'sporty diesels' but somehow the VRS/ Focus seem more appealing in that sense

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Well the bmw fan boys will probably be along to tell you different ;)
Only suggested that as my preferences are different, I've got a kid to put in the back, slowly getting a little bit harder the bigger he's gets!

Mondeo st tdci????
Astra cdti (150bhp)???? As above

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good thoughts so far :)

I'm not fussed about out right speed, the 'feel' of the car is more important to me to be honest, having currently got a mk3 MR2 I don't want something completely numb though I know anything will still feel far less involving.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I had a mk1 focus tdci sport, wasn't the fastest and suffered from not having a sixth gear. It was chuckable though, not a bad handling car for a hatchback. I did like the focus, but for a diesel the fuel economy was poor, have driven a fabia vrs and while it is a bit smaller especially inside, it was quite nippy although it didn't handle as well as the focus, did get better mpg though. If it was my coin I'd be looking at the ibiza fr with a 130pd engine, same as the fabia but a nicer looking car imo.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ Helpful input :rolleyes:

I had a mk1 focus tdci sport, wasn't the fastest and suffered from not having a sixth gear. It was chuckable though, not a bad handling car for a hatchback. I did like the focus, but for a diesel the fuel economy was poor, have driven a fabia vrs and while it is a bit smaller especially inside, it was quite nippy although it didn't handle as well as the focus, did get better mpg though. If it was my coin I'd be looking at the ibiza fr with a 130pd engine, same as the fabia but a nicer looking car imo.
I have owned an Ibiza PS130-awful suspension-way to hard and crashy yet wallowy in the corners. I hear the VRS is better set up in comparison. Interesting to hear the focus and vrs comparison, thanks

·
Premium Member
7,256 Posts
I've got to be honest, fun and diesel don't go together, to heavy at the front then all and nothing power delivery

However, Leon fr tdi, if you can find one polo gt tdi (very rare) or wild card (and big) s type td, possibly 407 coupe.

However I would make sure they have a full history, no dpf and that the fuel pump and injectors are good. Have a look on eBay and see how many focus's and mondeos are being sold as spares or repair,

·
Registered
11,623 Posts
I think you'll really struggle, especially with such a budget in place.

Going from a MR2 to a FWD diesel is a major change of direction.

If you are going to be doing bigger miles, I'd just look at something that is a relaxing as possible to eat up the miles.

I'd just end up looking for a bigger saloon that offered value for money. It would be a bit dull though.

·
Registered
11,623 Posts
I've got to be honest, fun and diesel don't go together, to heavy at the front then all and nothing power delivery

However, Leon fr tdi, if you can find one polo gt tdi (very rare) or wild card (and big) s type td, possibly 407 coupe.

However I would make sure they have a full history, no dpf and that the fuel pump and injectors are good. Have a look on eBay and see how many focus's and mondeos are being sold as spares or repair,
I never realised you could get a 407 coupe for that money. I had to look.

That's the best suggestion by a mile so far. At least it looks very smart.

·
Premium Member
7,256 Posts
The only thing with the 407 is it seems a bit sterile, comfy, silent and reasonably rapid. Double glazing too from what I remember, it's only auto though.

S type might not be in budget though, considering it has the same engine as the 407 it's a completely different driving experience.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I think you are quite limited with the idea of a fun diesel for £3500. Pretty much stuck with the Ibiza fr or cupra and the Fabia vrs. If it were me, I'd get an Ibiza fr and change the springs and shocks for good quality ones. I done that on mine and it made a huge difference to ride quality. I saw an Ibiza fr on the road the other day there and I think it's still a good looking car, if now dated. Fairly reliable too, there's a list of common faults, but none are serious.

Here is my old one

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.