Detailing World Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems I need to knock up a thread of the vehicle that is actually staying in our ownership.

Let me introduce you to our Insignia. Fully dripping in spec. Only thing she doesnt have is a rear camera and heated s/wheel. She is the BEST car I've owned, by a country mile.

We are keen caravaners so you may see more photos from us at sites too.

So today, she has hit 106,000 miles. A cambelt change, waterpump change and she has full clean bill of heaklth. Not good enough for me.

She is booked in for:
Oil Seal
Full service
Glow Plugs
Every fluid change possible
Gearbox oil change if needed etc

Love this car to be fair.

She has minor mods. HID kit which is legal. Velour carpet fitted mats. 3D Gel plates. LED bulbs all over plus a bit more.

More to come.

·
Registered
2015 Insignia 2.0 CDTi
5,479 Posts
Fellow owner here. Underrated cars imo. Loving mine too. Does everything and goes like stink since the remap.
Yours is a beauty! Looks terrific in red with the chrome.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice looking motor, had them wheels on my Insignia, they set the car off nicely
Thanks bud, literally Atomics are the only wheels that should ever go near an Insignia. I gave it a full health check last night as the wife has been off to Milton Keynes today, she needs two tyres up front, tracking doing and then it'll be sound for the MOT.

Fellow owner here. Underrated cars imo. Loving mine too. Does everything and goes like stink since the remap.
Yours is a beauty! Looks terrific in red with the chrome.
Cheers dude. I love it, honestly the best car I have ever owned. Not missed a beat, just wear and tear stuff. Although today she went in to limp mode. The wife has a tendency to run the diesel level right down and then fill up, so it flagged up the fuel rail code today and went in limp mode. Cleared, 200 miles done and right as rain!

I'm currently umming and arring over whether to remove the chrome for gloss black offerings, but then I don't want to demote the spec to a pov model either.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My father in law dechromed his red XK … ruined it, chrome looks much better. (IMO)
Nice motor and I'm with Bratwurst, I'd leave it as is, looks good and matches / finishes off nicely with the wheels
Considering I've had the car for nearly 2 years gents I'm inclined to leave it as it is. Plus being the wifes car she would only moan that I'm spending money un-necessarily. I've got my van I can mod, right... haha?

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Insignias are under rated car's although considering the size they don't make best use of the space inside.

I'm not aware of any legal aftermarket xenon lights though ... unless you have retro fitted the washers and auto levelling.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary: it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Does that mean if you bought second hand units, would they just be able to connect the wires and that’s you got legal hids?
Possibly, not a 100% sure. May need a new wirring loom & ecu etc...and re-coding & possible new bumper if no headlamp washers are fitted

While I agree it's a great looking car, like his Rocco. Just because his mate says they are OK, they are not.

·
Registered
2015 Insignia 2.0 CDTi
5,479 Posts
Possibly, not a 100% sure. May need a new wirring loom & ecu etc...and re-coding & possible new bumper if no headlamp washers are fitted

While I agree it's a great looking car, like his Rocco. Just because his mate says they are OK, they are not.
Cheers @Rappy 👍🏻👍🏻
This thread has given me a nice wee nudge. I’ve got fantastic LEDs in just now but I think for the sake of MOTs and roadworthiness etc, probably best to look into an HID swap.

Back to the car, when I got mine, I got hit with all the taxi comments and ‘ah it’s French with a different badge’ etc.. blah blah. One by one, every one of those folk have been converted after they’ve actually been a drive in it. Now none of them take the **** and compliment it when they’re in it. The wife even prefers it to her car now. (She likes the diesel power over hers). Sure, it’s no S Class, but as relatively cheap family transport it does everything well and then some.
Having said all that I actually think that cars nowadays are generally so well engineered that you don’t often get a truly crap car anymore. Obvs you get the ugly stuff and the really cheap crap stuff but aside from that..

·
Registered
10 Posts

Not all xenon’s need washers. It is determined by the lumen output, can’t recall the precise level - might by 4k but check. When Audi did the facelift on the C7 A6 in 2015 they made Xenon’s standard on the entry spec SE and whilst the pre facelift S-Lines had washers for their standard fit Xenon’s the facelift SE did not get washers. Likewise the C8 A6 Sport has LEDs as standard but again no washers. These only come with S-Line that has the matrix LEDs. Vehicle lighting regulations are some of the most complicated to get your head round. All said in all probability fitting aftermarket xenons or LEDs to car that left the factory with halogens will probably be illegal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow this escalated quickly. They are bulbs, I've been told by two people they are legal. One an ex traffic officer. So that will do for me. If they aren't then when we get pulled I'll change at the roadside. End of conversation.

Anyway, yes... back to the thread. The Scirocco a few of you have mentioned is now GONE!!! Reduced it in price to £3,900 on Trader, had a call today offering me £3,200. I told him that when he comes if he offers me so much as a pound less I'll send him on his way. He came, I drove it, he liked it... paid within 10 minutes and off he went.

The last photo I took of her:

Insignia time now. Went in to limp mode yesterday. A trip to the mechanic saw a fuel rail issue. Fault cleared and right as rain. The wife runs the car until the diesel is literally on fumes, so she got a bit of a telling off from the mechanic yesterday too!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts