Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres another random question for those that may know the laws better than i can.

With a vehicle suitable for the job, (4x4 with beacons, and towbar/trailer) could you be a good samaritan and recover as many vehicles from the roadside as you like and not have to be subject to operators licence?

I'm aware vehicles that operate and are over the 3.5t weight limit are also subject to drivers hours and should be tachographed but again thats for operating vehicles

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But if you were doing it out of sheer kindness and not for hire or reward then surely you wouldnt need business insurance or a o licence?

·
Premium Member
7,256 Posts
Have a look on the Landy Zone, I looked last year and it seems there is a group of 4x4 drivers through out the UK that donate there time time helping people out, both recovery and providing assistance to the elderly/people in remote areas.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have a look on the Landy Zone, I looked last year and it seems there is a group of 4x4 drivers through out the UK that donate there time time helping people out, both recovery and providing assistance to the elderly/people in remote areas.
Tbf this is what appeals to me, in the other thread i was saying im looking for a sporty saloon but if that wasnt an option a disco td5 would be the next choice for me. And using it to help folk in my spare time would be rewarding too

I'll have a look thanks

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
There is an exemption from the Operators regardless of size for the carriage of "Broken down vehicles" it does not matter if it is done for "hire and reward" or the kindness. The vehicle carried must be broken down. Having been disabled at the side of the road. If the vehicle not broked down it is considerd "Goods or Buryden of any Description carried in the course of or in connection with a trade or business"
An example is picking up a crash damaged car and taking it for repair. No operators licence required.
Delivering it back having been repaired. Not broken down so Operators licence required even if it's done once.
A TACHOGRAPH is required to be fitted to a vehicle or combination over 3.5 tonnes. used for commercial purposes so. Disco and suitable trailer. Would require a TACHOGRAPH. But it does not need to be used for recovery. Unless the journey is more than 100 km form operating centre.
Lots of other issues around payloads and overweight offences to be careful of.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so in summary i wouldn't need a o license for carriage of disabled vehicles? and unless i'm operating more that 100km away from home a tacho isn't required either?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and im guessing the recovery vehicle would need to be lit up to be stopping on motorway hard shoulders as im aware its an offence to stop to aid others on a motorway

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
you require a permit to work on the motorways. I would talk to the lads over at Recovery world. Although i have a friend who is trying to break into this market and some of the 'big boys' don't budge.

Especially when you start looking for contract work. Most of these permits and contracts need PAS 43 or other ISO equivalents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.