Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm relatively new to the forum, I've been on here a few times though but in the past it's just been to look at other peoples pics etc.

I'm trying to get into detailing a bit more after showing my MK1 Jetta (daily driver comps etc) this show season. The paint is pretty good as it has been resprayed in 2008 (not sure if it would still be clearcoat free still?)

I'm looking into getting a machine polisher, primarily for the Jetta, but also to do other cars in my household. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with Mars Red?
I just want to remove light scratching/swirl marks.

I was thinking of getting this kit:
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...pro-autofinesse-revitalise-kit/prod_1150.html

I've also read good reviews on this http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-476s-super-doublecoat-auto-wax/prod_207.html

Which I am tempted by as I won't be using the car much over the winter.

Thanks

Edit: Pic of car to (hopefully) prevent boring people.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
one piece of advise is it might work out cheaper to but the DA and polish kit seperate using the DAS6 pro group buy offer on here for £99 then buy the AF kit on its own

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a Mk1 Golf in Mars Red and my paint is fairly soft - average in my opinion. It is always so difficult to recommend pad/ polish combinations as every car is different and the general rule can be proved wrong at the most random of times.

I would advise in a good Paint Thickness Gauge. If you can, and it is more important with this type of car (classic), try to stretch to one which can measure the various layers of paint.

As it has been resprayed the readings on basic PTGs could very well throw you off when machine polishing.

I like your car by the way. Looks very nice and hard to come by these days.

If you ever need any advice with mechanics or body then give me a shout as I've spent a fair few recent years working on the mk1 chassis onwards.

Mars Red, some say it's the colour of the Connoisseur:thumb:

Otto

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments guys, I will look into the paint thickness gauge, but I can imagine they're out of my price range to be honest. If I spend too much money on my motor I'm going to lose a limb if the lady finds out I'm spending the house fund! Thanks for the heads up on the group buy too, I'll probably go with that!

Thanks for the offer Otto, I need to sort the front valance out as it's taken a bump at some point in it's life, but other than that the body is pretty good! The mechanics were sorted early this year as the head gasket leaked and killed the alternator, then the battery died, the cambelt/rad/water pump needed doing, as did a service. I did it all in one hit and it's sweet as a nut now, the only annoying noise I get is people telling me to "stick a 20v" in it. I've been there though, had one already and want to keep this original.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.