Detailing World Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 40 next month and I'd promised myself a Range Rover Sport. Always wanted one since Clarkson got chased in a tank by one way back when. However, I needed a van for work so I started the search a month or so ago. Kept coming back to transporters. Originally wanted to get a T6 or T6.1 but my budget of 25k would mean it would be a panel van which I'd have to semi convert. Always fancied a sportline and then this popped up at my local VW commercial dealership.

I rang them up to see if I could view but it was in the body shop that just happened to be 5 minutes down the road. Went over to have a look only to find the 60th Anniversary stickers had been removed as they'd sprayed down the sides. Turns out they resprayed the front bumper, bonnet and rear bumper to tidy up the stone chips and scuff marks where things had been loaded in the back. Needless to say the van was now immaculate. Added to that the polished wheels were like new and included a spare.

After asking some more questions I established it had 1 owner from new but despite it saying full service history it was in fact missing 6 years worth of servicing. It had its first 2 services done at VW then a big gap from 2016 until now. Given that someone had bought it new I'm guessing they would have kept it up to date at an independent. The salesman said he spoke to the previous owner who said he'd pass on the paper work via email but it never came. I was going to walk at this point but just couldn't bring myself to do so.

The van is on 82k and the salesman had said they'd do a cambelt and water pump plus full service. It would come with 6 months warranty and the next two services would be free. On top of this the multi check point meant that it had new rear pads and discs plus 4 continental tyres.

Now this is a BiTurbo with DSG and 180bhp and the engine to avoid(!) as it's had it's fair share of problems - but **** it by this point I was sold.

In addition to the bits listed above they needed to sort the catch on one door and the roller on another. Went to collect the car today to find the handle loose so it's going back in next week to be rectified.

Not going to do anything major to it - new OEM sportline mats, lowering springs/dampers and carpet/insulate/sound deaden the interior.

Anyway here are a few photos of when I collected it…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ffs. Less than 30 miles of ownership and the engine management light has come on

That will give them something else to rectify tomorrow.

In other news I filled up with £99 of diesel and it only got me to 3/4 of a tank. First time I've ever reached that figure. What do people do, put your card in and start again until it clicks full? Surely given the prices of fuel these days garages need to increase this cap?!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
put some bricks in the tank to reduce the volume, keeps under the £99 cap ;)

My Macan has a 75litre tank, I try not to put more than 50 litres in at a time for the very reason you said, I'm not sure what to do other than stop at £99, pay, and then start again much to the annoyance of anyone waiting behind.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
What a lovely van, real menacing looking thing! Given your other threads I was expecting a scrapper project, so this came as a real shock!

RE the fuel fillups; my Audi A6 tdi has a pansy 2.0 diesel engine, and must therefore have a relatively small fuel tank. However it takes £120 to fill it from empty.

I find the "pay at pump" machines still have limits of £99, but the pay in station ones are letting me put much more in. Not sure if you have tried that?

But I tend to try not to let the fuel go much under 50%, and then I am still above the £99 limit of pay at pump (which I hugely prefer).

Rant time... In fact pay at pump has been standard for more than 20 years in the rest of Europe, many of them unmanned. Why are they not all "pay at pump"? - I loath going inside and queuing for no reason!!! Stops people buying their shopping at the fuel station too.

...oh and welcome to club 40+!

I turned 41 this year, so I can confirm it all goes down hill from here... :lol:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Frustrating I know but just do pay in shop rather than pay at pump then you can go to whatever you desire. Although I am sure they would have a limit in the shop too.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting morning. Too the van to VW to have the dodgy handle sorted - part ordered booked back in for 15th June. The internal door wouldn’t open due to child lock. Engine management light - I was told it was a ‘sporadic’ fault and was reset.

Took the van away. Went to Costco put another £40 in it. £140 to fill it up! Drove home and engine management light came on again. Called the dealership and told them I’m bringing it back in. When I arrived they said we need to order the part in, to which I replied what part?! ERG Valve which they need to order in. I knew something wasn’t right when they said they couldn’t find a fault - they knew dam well what the problem was.

Anyway, they’ve now got the van and asked about a refund if this didn’t work. They said they’d take it back if it came to it. I don’t want to as I’ve just had some eibach 50mm lowering springs, Biltstein dampeners and front splitter arrive!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a lovely van, real menacing looking thing! Given your other threads I was expecting a scrapper project, so this came as a real shock!

RE the fuel fillups; my Audi A6 tdi has a pansy 2.0 diesel engine, and must therefore have a relatively small fuel tank. However it takes £120 to fill it from empty.

I find the "pay at pump" machines still have limits of £99, but the pay in station ones are letting me put much more in. Not sure if you have tried that?

But I tend to try not to let the fuel go much under 50%, and then I am still above the £99 limit of pay at pump (which I hugely prefer).

Rant time... In fact pay at pump has been standard for more than 20 years in the rest of Europe, many of them unmanned. Why are they not all "pay at pump"? - I loath going inside and queuing for no reason!!! Stops people buying their shopping at the fuel station too.

...oh and welcome to club 40+!

I turned 41 this year, so I can confirm it all goes down hill from here... :lol:
Sorry to disappoint but as you'll read now it's already proving to have issues like my fleet of 20yr old cars. I really give up. I thought I was doing the 'right' thing for once but I guess buying anything second hand regardless of prices comes with its risks

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The issue is the standard of the dealership, seems their attitude is make it look nice, then let the new customer tell them whats wrong with it.

Heck a simple diagnostic pre sale would have told them the fault codes.

Sadly main dealers are not much better than back street bodgers in many cases, despite paying their premiums

Fingers crossed its all resolved after the15th

·
Registered
314 Posts
Interesting morning. Too the van to VW to have the dodgy handle sorted - part ordered booked back in for 15th June. The internal door wouldn't open due to child lock. Engine management light - I was told it was a 'sporadic' fault and was reset.

Took the van away. Went to Costco put another £40 in it. £140 to fill it up! Drove home and engine management light came on again. Called the dealership and told them I'm bringing it back in. When I arrived they said we need to order the part in, to which I replied what part?! ERG Valve which they need to order in. I knew something wasn't right when they said they couldn't find a fault - they knew dam well what the problem was.

Anyway, they've now got the van and asked about a refund if this didn't work. They said they'd take it back if it came to it. I don't want to as I've just had some eibach 50mm lowering springs, Biltstein dampeners and front splitter arrive!!

Do you know if the emissions software fix has been carried out prior to you buying it?.

I only ask this, as this seems to happen to many vehicles with mileage on them after the fix has been carried out, as the software tends to work the EGR valve harder following its application.

I am on a Skoda forum quite a bit, and power units are shared across the VAG marque quite often. Many have either declined the fix, or asked for an extension of their warranty period due to this.

This could just be a genuine unit failure, in which case anything can fail once in it's life, but having all the information to hand while you still have options, puts you in a position of more power to make a good balanced decision.

Hope it helps, and they sort it out for you, as they are great vans.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Oh, that's not good news about the warning light coming on - hopefully the new part will resolve the issue and all be good.

Also make sure when you pick it up, it has the same amount of fuel you left it with in the tank...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hoggers, do you have VCDS at all?, it is the VAG software to read the systems on our cars.

If you have, just let it read the ash content in the DPF, as that can clog too if lots of short journeys, normally, a forced regen and then taking it for a longer journey once a week or so should keep things well. If you haven't, ask them to do it on their ODIS system when you take it in, as a clogged EGR is your leverage to ask them to check it.

Good luck, :thumb:

Phil

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hoggers, do you have VCDS at all?, it is the VAG software to read the systems on our cars.

If you have, just let it read the ash content in the DPF, as that can clog too if lots of short journeys, normally, a forced regen and then taking it for a longer journey once a week or so should keep things well. If you haven't, ask them to do it on their ODIS system when you take it in, as a clogged EGR is your leverage to ask them to check it.

Good luck, :thumb:

Phil
I left the van with them yesterday having them told me they are ordering the ERG valve. If I get any further problems I'll give it back to them. I did buy it through my business so according to a friend in the trade I don't have the consumer rights as I would buying as an individual. So far they've been very accommodating and apologetic. Luckily I don't need the van for work at the moment so I'm not massively inconvenienced by it all - it's just not ideal.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I left the van with them yesterday having them told me they are ordering the ERG valve. If I get any further problems I'll give it back to them. I did buy it through my business so according to a friend in the trade I don't have the consumer rights as I would buying as an individual. So far they've been very accommodating and apologetic. Luckily I don't need the van for work at the moment so I'm not massively inconvenienced by it all - it's just not ideal.

That sounds fair, only reason I said what I did is so they check it and fix it right first time and not inconvenience you any more than what is needed.

As regards it being bought through the business, yes, you may have less rights than normal, but they should still be selling you a legal vehicle, which should be emissions compliant, and with a faulty Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, it possibly is not.

There are probably a lot of vehicles on the road in that condition, but they probably are not days old and sold at a dealer premium price.

Be polite, but get what you are entitled to, you paid in good faith, they should fix it in the same vein. I'm sure all will be well, there are not many real cowboy dealers out there now, most have gone bust over the last few years.

If you intend to run the van for a while, VCDS could be a possible investment to think on, you can enable all sorts of extras that may not be available at the trim spec from the factory. A lot is just coding, then away you go and enjoy.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That sounds fair, only reason I said what I did is so they check it and fix it right first time and not inconvenience you any more than what is needed.

As regards it being bought through the business, yes, you may have less rights than normal, but they should still be selling you a legal vehicle, which should be emissions compliant, and with a faulty Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, it possibly is not.

There are probably a lot of vehicles on the road in that condition, but they probably are not days old and sold at a dealer premium price.

Be polite, but get what you are entitled to, you paid in good faith, they should fix it in the same vein. I'm sure all will be well, there are not many real cowboy dealers out there now, most have gone bust over the last few years.

If you intend to run the van for a while, VCDS could be a possible investment to think on, you can enable all sorts of extras that may not be available at the trim spec from the factory. A lot is just coding, then away you go and enjoy.
I agree, they should have been more honest when the light originally came on as I'm certain they knew what the issue was and we're trying their luck by giving it back to me hoping it wouldn't come back. As it happens, it did within a few hours of them giving it back to me. They didn't hesitate to rectify as they knew it was more than the right thing to do given the circumstances.

Have you got a link to a link to a decent code reader?

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you just want to read codes, the Autel range would suffice to do that, but if you can pick up VCDS at a good price you can do so much more.

A code reader will only read basic systems, i.e. Engine, ABS, Transmission, whereas VCDS can read all the modules fitted to the vehicle, i.e lighting, steering, even the alarm system.

It really depends what you want and how far you want to go, but most dealers in London are on at least £130/ hour, so you dont need to do much with them to work up a fair old diagnostic bill - VCDS looks quite reasonable then, and no main agent BS either.

Let me know which way your thinking is going, and I'll try and post some ideas on readers or software.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you just want to read codes, the Autel range would suffice to do that, but if you can pick up VCDS at a good price you can do so much more.

A code reader will only read basic systems, i.e. Engine, ABS, Transmission, whereas VCDS can read all the modules fitted to the vehicle, i.e lighting, steering, even the alarm system.

It really depends what you want and how far you want to go, but most dealers in London are on at least £130/ hour, so you dont need to do much with them to work up a fair old diagnostic bill - VCDS looks quite reasonable then, and no main agent BS either.

Let me know which way your thinking is going, and I'll try and post some ideas on readers or software.
VCDS it is then!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts