Detailing World Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
All these little bits wrong/missing etc but so far I am impressed with how they are looking after you. Which of course they should be but in this day and age, the amount of dealers that would have told you to like it or lump it far outweigh the good ones out there.

So I'm very happy to see a fellow DW'er be treated well :)
Yep, I'd totally echo this. Sometimes it's not the reliability that puts someone off but how it's dealt with. Case in point is my dad with his Evoque; looked after by Pentland and Macrae & Dick all it's life so despite a plethora of issues (averaged 1 trip to the main dealer every month in its first 3 years which is 160 mile round trip) he was absolutely happy. He just did his usual Inverness trip to coincide. Courtesy car always available, coffee offered, updated regularly on progress and would run him into town from the dealership to go and get breakfast etc if it was just a while you wait job. Then Parks took over and he's close to burning the thing to the ground he's so frustrated with it. Not because it's any less reliable, but because they are more incompetent than either of us thought it possible to be. Where before they'd push borderline warranty cases through for him, now they refuse to honour even what should be genuine warranty claims. And if something fails that takes 6hrs to sort because they need to dismantle half the car, they don't even think to mention anything else in there which needs attention while they're there, they just bolt it back together and then with a straight face when something else in there fails 6 weeks later suggest it'll be another chargeable 6hrs. Oh how a dealer can make or break a brand. I'm experiencing a similar lack of service from my local BMW place who will willingly 'pre-decline' warranty claims for efficiency!

While the van sounds like it's got some issues I think their approach to fixing things seems pretty reasonable, bordering on going above and beyond, in an effort to do the right thing for its new owner. Paying for the day out is a lot more than most places would do yet I'm sure left a much more positive feeling towards them!

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Ffs. Less than 30 miles of ownership and the engine management light has come on

That will give them something else to rectify tomorrow.

In other news I filled up with £99 of diesel and it only got me to 3/4 of a tank. First time I've ever reached that figure. What do people do, put your card in and start again until it clicks full? Surely given the prices of fuel these days garages need to increase this cap?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Used to work in a petrol station back in the day, local coach company would come in late on a Sunday and fill up a few vehicles. Would do two lots on one pump, pull forward and 2 lots on the next one. All on the one Fuel Card

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sounds like a bit of a nightmare in someways... but at least they are recognising the issues.... and getting them sorted for you even if it is painfully slow at times... There seems to of been loads of issues with that model, reading the mags etc like VWT, it seems that so long as you dont see any misting in the oil... you are good to go.... ( I suppose the same can be said for any engine as such...) I think I would be inclined to be asking for a longer warranty just to give you some peace of mind as a new engine is around 7 to 8k apparently....
One thing I would say is that the VW 5.1 I run... ( basic startline with 2.0 tdi ) has given us many a happy hour of fun since turning it into a camper.... love every minute we are out using it...oh and fuel wise... considering the weight its draggin around... after the conversion... its still doing around 40+ mpg if kept around the 2k mark on the rpm gauge... which equates to around 62/65 mph...
I would say if you are deciding to keep hold of it... once everything settles down I am sure you will start to enjoy the VW ownership as they do have so much to offer... and regardless of what offers I have had from strangers admiring ours... I still wouldn't sell it... as like I always say... there is no way I could do the job again and make as good a job as no one ever makes as good a job the second time around... yes maybe faster/easier... but not with the passion that you give to a job like doing a conversion plus once is enough for anyone...lol.... BR Sata..

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I think this whole situation has been helped that the sales guy is my age, coaches his sons football team as I do and has the same interests. He knew what I was going to be using the van for and understood it was big investment for me. He told the chaps in after sales that I was a ‘really nice bloke’ and doesn’t deserve to call ache of having to take it back every 5 minutes.

Regarding the warranty - it’s not through VW but a second party. This is because the van was more then 7 years old. I’m also a bit stuck in that although it has vw service history there is a big gap in between 2016 and 2022 so I won’t be able to get additional cover from elsewhere. Just going to have to suck up any future problems!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Got the van back from my local garage after having the front splitter, springs, dampers and side bars fitted.

Loving how the front looks…

The rear is sitting a tad too high for my liking, so it’s going back in to be taken down a notch (they are adjustable springs)

41 - 47 of 47 Posts