Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as the title suggests, what's your tips?

Might sound like a silly or easy question but any advice would be great. Now the leaves are falling and no doubt snows going to be coming sooner or later what's the words of wisdom.

Is there any need to use products during the worst of weather months like snow, or will it just wash them straight off,

Your Do's and Donts

Best Products to use etc.

And with lots of leaf litter and dirty roads i guess what better excuse to wash the car again.

Just started to get into the detailing scene so be noob friendly :thumb:

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Welcome :wave:

What i have done is give the car a good decon - Foam, 2 bucket wash, iron remover, turtle wax liquid clay bar and then a coat of wax, collinite 476s should see it through the winter.

I also had the underside under sealed and i did the arches and myself. While i had the wheels off i painted them up and the trims too :)

During the winter its about getting the salt off, make sure the underside and the arches are cleaned well.

A good snow foam or a citrus pre wash and the your two bucket wash should see you thru the winter :thumb:

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Most important time to protect it, in the autumn and winter months

A good, hardy wax or sealant will see you through winter, without a problem. I would suggest fully decontaminating the paintwork and wheels and then seal the wheels with Gtechniq C5. This will see you through next winter too ;)

Many use Colly wax for winter or a spray sealant for easy application and top up, Gtechniq C2v3.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How do people go about washing the underneath to get rid of the salt? Just stick the hose under the car? Also, I live down a side road and when it starts getting snowy/really icy, what do you do to minimize the ice on the ground, is it worth buying a bag of salt to scatter after washing the car? Bet you can tell it'll be my first winter whilst being into detailing haha.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
How do people go about washing the underneath to get rid of the salt? Just stick the hose under the car? Also, I live down a side road and when it starts getting snowy/really icy, what do you do to minimize the ice on the ground, is it worth buying a bag of salt to scatter after washing the car? Bet you can tell it'll be my first winter whilst being into detailing haha.
This is maybe where the suggestion of the local garage power washer comes in handy and ONR :)

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Check the temperature gauge - if it's zero or less the water's gonna freeze on your car. Otherwise, continue washing as per norm.

Oh, and make sure you pick a good time of day, like around lunchtime when the temperature's gonna be warmer....it'll give you more time to dry it all off - not forgetting the seals. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,493 Posts
A tip I learned from a friend who likes keeping his car clean. Don't forget you have family, turn the drive into a skating rink and have people hurt themselves.
Hence why if mine needs a clean it either gets ignored, or taken to the jetwash. I'd rather not have the wife in a&e with a broken arm due to my stupidity.

·
DW's car of the day man & Moderator
14,062 Posts
In the winter months I pick a dry day then use pre wash, snow foam, a good jet wash and a dry down with the air force blaster. I skip the two bucket method because it's so damn cold and in this way youi avoid contact with the paint work. No car can look it's best in the winter months but it's all about keeping as much road muck off your vehicle as possible.

·
36,475 Posts
pressure washer with underbody lance ;)

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Just carry on:thumb: unless its raining or snowing I try to do a normal routine, the lack of day light hours does mean I might only do the outside and do the inside another day. Don't like the thought of all that road salt on my motor!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.