Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having trouble with steering vibration and chassis.

I changed to the front tyres, and the vibration is still there. So it's from the rears?

I have had the wheels balance twice all four, then got the fronts done. AGAIN 4days later and they was out buy 10-15g. I don't know how that works?

So the steering vibrates a small amount, around 85mph on a (private road) you can feel it in the seat alittle to and sort of hear it to. If I am going round a slight corner it's less apparent, and also if I am accelerating through the speed aswell.

Any ideas?

Luke

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can it be the rears? Wheels look fine and just had its MOT.

The wheel wobble is to apparent, seems a faint wobble more a vibration, it's not overly in your face.

Luke

·
Registered
11,623 Posts
Surprising how many places fail to balance wheels properly. I've had a few issues in the past and strangely 85mph always seems to be the point it shows badly.

The rears being out can transmit enough vibration through the car you feel it in the steering.

·
Registered
600 Posts
how have each of the wheels been balanced? do they have one group of weights on the outer edge of the wheel and one group of weights in the inner edge of the wheel?

is any of the groups of weights more than 100g?
anything over 10g out will be felt.

have you checked the tyres for flat spots in the tread or bulges?
have the wheels been checked for buckles?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are weights inside the wheel, and on the outer (still inside the alloy wheel)

One of the front tyres has a step in it, but it done this before having the two new fronts fitted, the step is in the new front tyre, so it seems there's something up with the rears, but they have been balanced already.

Luke

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Ive had this before through the seat , was a balance problem I think from memory it was the rear wheels.

Have you swopped wheels front to back ?

you say you have had them balanced twice , was it at same garage ?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Fair comment, cars can be very annoying
Yep they are!

Forgot to add op it turned out to be that someone had used that tyre weld stuff and when it went on the balancing machine thing they had a different reading every couple of tries. As yours were out a couple weeks later it might be the same thing. Had to either take them off and clean them up or new tyres.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I has the fronts fitted and balanced at one garage, went back again 5days later, and had the re balanced,

I went to another garage 7 days later, and they was out again, on the fronts around 20-30g. I asked them to balance the rears for me toe, and they was out only 10-15g. Went back again and the fronts was rear balanced and they was out yet again! They are new tyres. I don't think they checked the rears again, so I am going back and ask them to do it. They was pretty good and didn't charge me and gave me sound advice, and come back for any further help.

Luke

·
Registered
765 Posts
I has the fronts fitted and balanced at one garage, went back again 5days later, and had the re balanced,

I went to another garage 7 days later, and they was out again, on the fronts around 20-30g. I asked them to balance the rears for me toe, and they was out only 10-15g. Went back again and the fronts was rear balanced and they was out yet again! They are new tyres. I don't think they checked the rears again, so I am going back and ask them to do it. They was pretty good and didn't charge me and gave me sound advice, and come back for any further help.

Luke
Are the balance weights falling off? I can't imagine any other reason for the wheels to go out of balance that many times within days, unless you are bashing them into kerbs regularly. I assume they are balancing the wheels off the car (as the vast majority of places do), so the fault has to be within the wheel & tyre combo itself. Once they are balanced, they are balanced, and shouldn't change significantly for a very long time.

As mentioned, there are other things that could cause a similar effect but they wouldn't alter the wheels balance over such a short period of time.

Next time you have them done make a note of exactly how much weight is on there.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, balanced off the car.

I don't thrash the car, and it goes no where near kerbs!

Seems strange to me to. I had new weights added 10g on one wheel next to the existing ones that was added a few days before.

Luke

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It doesn't come on, it's there even right after they have been balanced.

It seems on a smooth piece of Tarmac on the dual carriage way.

Luke

·
Registered
765 Posts
It doesn't come on, it's there even right after they have been balanced.

It seems on a smooth piece of Tarmac on the dual carriage way.

Luke
Ah right, I have the wrong end of the stick then. I thought from reading through that they were ok at first but went out of balance (hence needing the extra weights adding). My apologies :)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Through steering wheel = front wheels
Through seat = rear wheels.

Mine vibrates now, due to the rears sawtoothing. Big thing on Audi VW ranges. Due to incorrect toe position from factory.

Did you use a mobile fitter or a standard garage? Could the wheel be buckled.

I would try a place with a Hunter machine and see how you get on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.