Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and girls,

Just a quick question for you all...

I applied FK1000p to my Mini wheels in September when the car was new. I made sure the alloys were spotless and gave them an IPA wipe down. Then applied two coats of FK. They looked awesome for the first couple of washes but then after that, they wouldn't come up as clean. I new the protection was still there but the beading effects had worn off very quickly. 10 days at the most!

I know Mini's and BMW's are renowned for excessive brake dust; so a build up of iron contaminants build up pretty quickly. As well as obviously tar and what not.

I went to give them a proper decon and seal for winter today but the protection has obviously completely gone. The build up of pitting on the wheels has become worse over the last 2/3 weeks.

So basically, my question is..

Did I do something wrong? I was washing the wheels with a weak solution of AS Smart Wheels or weak Bilberry.

I know this could have easily caused it. But just in need of someone to give their opinion/knowledge.

Secondly, should I be thinking of something other than FK1000P. Maybe get some C5 or something like that?

Obviously winter is very close now and I want the whole car to be protected. Otherwise it's a bit of a waste of money spending it on a car you aren't going to look after!! ;)

Cheers in advance!

Alex

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I also have a mini and cover around 300 miles a week and by which time the wheels are filthy from both brake dust and general road grime. 6 months ago I coated them with C5 but didn't think much of it as it didn't help to reduce the build up, this time I went for nanolex and the same again so now I don't think the coatings are bad it just can't be helped. If I give them a clean with something like iron-x they come back up great and the beading is restored, so I know its still there but it just can't stop the build up.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Have another go with the sealant but don't use the wheel cleaners just your normal car shampoo, shouldn't need them to be honest. If you really need something with a little more bite look at Dodos supernatural wheel cleaner (doesn't strip wheel waxes/sealant)
Gonz.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I use Swissvax Autobahn wheel sealant on my wheels and it last for ages. Don't use any wheelcleaner though, just car shampoo. Brakedust problem is not present, since I run with EBC pads.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
With a good wheel sealant you should not need a wheel cleaner, just shampoo and water.

Gtechniq C5 is great wheel protection and lasts well over a year. I use it on both our cars. Mine also generates lots of brake dust but none clings to the wheels. Just a power wash down then clean with shampoo and water and a variety of brushes. All brake dust is removed.

·
Registered
956 Posts
As a few other already mentioned, your problem is using wheel cleaners, even though they're diluted. Use regular shampoo in a bucket or through a sprayer, preferably with a foaming spray head, to clean them.

You could apply a more permanent solution, e.g. Opti Coat, which will not be much affected by the use of regular wheel cleaners.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you do a lot of mileage I dont think any wheel sealant will help. C5 is the closest to an effective wheel sealant that I have tried and even that was struggling after a couple of months.

Might be with trying something like Armor All Shield for Wheels spray on stuff? See how long that lasts and just reapply as necessary maybe.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies. I have only just seen them!

I think I will buy a more durable coating and just wash with my shampoo solution. One bucket method should be fine! ;)

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Thank you everyone for your replies. I have only just seen them!

I think I will buy a more durable coating and just wash with my shampoo solution. One bucket method should be fine! ;)
Like you say, Mini wheels get mucky really quickly, so just be cleaning them more often, I have used none fancy products to good effect on wheels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.