Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
thought I'd share a result. After trying various lotions and potions to get rid of the stick on weights adhesive/foam/tape used on alloy wheels; wd40, glue and tar remover, panel wipe, brake cleaner etc. with and without plastic scrapers, non of which were effective in removing several years worth of partly removed the stick on goo.
I thought - what about those car decal/ pinstripe removal / 'caramel' wheels used with a drill...
And I have to say, what a result, it easilly remved the black stuff and did not mark the wheels :cool:
Theres a bit of technique, obviously(?) clean the alloys first, then the caramel wheel isbest used in an advancing motion, against the direction of rotation of the disc, as this cleans off the goo, if you use it in a retreating direction it smeared the goo some what, so always finish in that 'advancing' direction.

Sorry no pics (in case it all went wrong to save embarrassing myself)!

S

·
Registered
154 Posts
Agreed, I had tried everything and the usual methods just take forever. One caramel wheel later and job done! So much easier, quick wipe down after with some tar & glue for good measure.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Cheers for that. Just ordered one for when I get round to taking my wheels off. Had new tyres fitted recently, so no doubt there will be some glue to clean off.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Took some off my lads matt black wheels a couple of weeks ago.
Didn't want to use tar and glue or Autosmart Jelsol, so resorted to heating the sticky up with the mrs's hair dryer.

Came off nicely with the soft scraper

Have thought about the caramel wheel, I should get one now just in case - plenty of room on the garage shelf for future

1 - 8 of 8 Posts