Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after a detailing lamp which you see the 'pro's' have. They are mainly on a yellow tripod which two single lamps on them.

My question is where to buy / which one?

The girlfriend needs some ideas from me for Xmas. Upto now it's a lamp, a detailing stool and a new inner rim brush :D I bet she can't wait!!! :thumb:

·
Master of Disambiguation
8,016 Posts
Sorry to hijack but I was wondering, can you convert standard halogen flood lights to metal halide using those bulbs?
No, halogens operate at mains voltage, whereas metal halides need high voltage to strike the arc. Without the ballast, just like car HIDs, there's insufficient voltage to light the bulb.

If you opted for one of the lights I've linked, you'll need to bear in mind the stand will be top-heavy, so care needed using it.
If you wanted to change to LED floods, then you're going to need a pair of 50-100w, which will still be less than the single 150w metal halide's output, and more expensive.

·
Master of Disambiguation
8,016 Posts
No, you don't convert anything – just re-use the stand to hang the LED or MH flood on.
A pair of 50w LED floods is going to cost £80 bare minimum, and which will still be shy of the brightness a 150w MH gives.

·
DW Supporter & Woollie Pad Man
4,549 Posts
You would be good to get a variety of lights, L.E.D, Halide and Halogen etc, they will all show different defects on different colours..

Above is what I do, buy cheap Halogens and pinch the stands for other lights :)..

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Same as Rob. Bought some halogen on offer, gave the lamps away and kept the stand. Now have halide mounted on that for high level and led lamps for low level. You van pick cheaper led lamps up now, not a lot of money at all
Haha exactly what I have done.

But still have the halogens.

Have a halide on stand. One floor. Led for floor.
5 led mounted in garage.

I want a double light again though. Highlights 50/50's better :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.