Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being fairly competant with my DA for a few years now, I got a rotary in the summer and been using it now and then, I just cant get the hang of it, sometimes all goes well amd other times its like a wild animal I cant get nice smooth movements from it and end up getting the DA back out which is a pleasure to use after manhandling the rotary.
Any of you in the same predicament?
I really want to master it but it keeps besting me

·
Registered
50 Posts
Currently used mine tonight and though what the heck il burn my paint to the size of a 1p lol yeah I'm finding it a pain in the **** I'm thinking of selling the rotary an getting a DA
If anyone wants to swap ?lol

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Being fairly competant with my DA for a few years now, I got a rotary in the summer and been using it now and then, I just cant get the hang of it, sometimes all goes well amd other times its like a wild animal I cant get nice smooth movements from it and end up getting the DA back out which is a pleasure to use after manhandling the rotary.
Any of you in the same predicament?
I really want to master it but it keeps besting me
^ 99% sure you'll find it's the pads not being placed dead centre. As soon as this part's sorted, you'll find it a lot easier.

If you can get to the point where it's nice and smooth to use, turn the rotary over (obviously not whilst it's running) and use a pen to mark around the plate (on the pad). This way you'll get it spot on every time. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ 99% sure you'll find it's the pads not being placed dead centre. As soon as this part's sorted, you'll find it a lot easier.

If you can get to the point where it's nice and smooth to use, turn the rotary over (obviously not whilst it's running) and use a pen to mark around the plate (on the pad). This way you'll get it spot on every time. :thumb:
Hmmm it may be the case, ill try again tmrw, although it was fairly centered but not perfect.
Hated it today, the product I used wasnt helping, cold and menzerna dont mix well im finding.
Found this last year on the da but thought the rotary would be better. Nope.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very honest Luke. It's the first step to enlightenment dude. What polishes and pads are you using. And what cars, and even panels, give you trouble?
Hi matt.
Today was a 2010 ford focus bonnet using menz po203s and a white hex pad with my new soft 3m backing plate.
Im struggling to drive the machine it sort of takes me and I try to hang on.
In the summer I found it easier , but today from the word go the polish didnt spread nice, was very grabby and I just couldnt manouvre the machine smoothly.
For fear of messing it up I got the da out and switched to megs ultimate compound, all became enjoyable again, with me being in control of the machine

·
king of the flexonian
12,486 Posts
Menzerna can be troublesome on cold days. Assuming the pad is primed properly (however it is you do it) run the polish for longer on lower speed to get some warmth into the panel. It will eventually thin out and oil up. Once you have it working its prudent to try to keep going without stopping and wiping down etc so as to keep the warmth and momentum. Finish the panel then check your work.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Menzerna can be troublesome on cold days. Assuming the pad is primed properly (however it is you do it) run the polish for longer on lower speed to get some warmth into the panel. It will eventually thin out and oil up. Once you have it working its prudent to try to keep going without stopping and wiping down etc so as to keep the warmth and momentum. Finish the panel then check your work.
Exactly what I did mate, ran very slowly for a while, hard to spread evenly but by the time I got up to 1200 the oils were working although not as nicely as in summer.
Still having issues getting nice fluid arm movements tho, u guys make it look easy in your videos but im struggling to flow with it

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
The trick with a rotary isn't to try and push it across the panel but to ever so slightly tilt your wrist.
Tilt down to go up, left to go right and vice-versa. Not so much so that you're using the edge of the pad but just the smallest ammount so the you can move the machine in the direction you want to take it, rather than it dragging you along the panel.
That may not be the best way to explain it but I know what I mean :lol:

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Some good advise there,however where most people go wrong is they don't relax and often become tense so take the chill pill and tackle a small area at a time,practice makes perfect :thumb:

·
Registered
316 Posts
The trick with a rotary isn't to try and push it across the panel but to ever so slightly tilt your wrist.
Tilt down to go up, left to go right and vice-versa. Not so much so that you're using the edge of the pad but just the smallest ammount so the you can move the machine in the direction you want to take it, rather than it dragging you along the panel.
^^:thumb: This makes it a lot easier.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I find mine much much nicer to use and easier than my DA tbh. DA doesn't even come out for wax any more, just sits in the box in case the Rupe's croaks it one day

·
Registered
293 Posts
Top tip Scratcher...was going to post that reply myself :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some good advise there,however where most people go wrong is they don't relax and often become tense so take the chill pill and tackle a small area at a time,practice makes perfect :thumb:
Scratcher made a great point but don't forget this point too.

The harder and more tense your grip is, the less control over the machine you'll have. I have a pretty powerful Dewalt DWP849X and it's really easy to use as long as you relax and use the tilt motion that Scratcher mentioned.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts

To be honest that is much more the case with a DA, i find you can live with the pad being slightly out better with the rotary than the DA. I guess it effects people differently.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.