Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to clean my girlfriends car windscreen. As you can see from the picture there seems to be something on it. I've tried AG glass polish, AB Crystal, Halfrauds glass cut and claying. The screen dries clear with no streaks but when you spray the washers it ends up like this. The wiper blades are clean. Could it be the washer fluid?

I've ordered some IPA. Will this help? I've heard it's serious stuff. What dilution ratio should I use?

Any advise much appreciated?

·
DW Supporter
6,147 Posts
I'd say that that was caused by whatever is in your screenwash bottle as opposed to something on the screen, especially as you've used all those products without success.

I'd be removing the screenwash bottle, emptying it & giving it a damn good clean out before refilling with a decent screenwash & distilled water:thumb:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just asked my girlfriend what washer fluid she used. She said it might have been the one in the garage with "antifreeze" on the front.

The only thing is that it does smell like washing up liquid!

How can I clean the system out without taking stuff apart as im currently recovering from a shoulder operation so can't do much one handed!

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can probably get away with flushing it.

Just empty it using the jets, fill it again with water only and then empty it again and see what it's like then. If it's still causing issues then you will probably have to take it out.

If you don't want to overuse the motor that powers the jets and you have an extraction pump, use that instead. I personally wouldn't worry about damaging the motor though, I've drained my car a few times using the jets and nothing has happened.

If she has actually put antifreeze for coolant systems in it, hold a bucket or something to collect the water. That stuff isn't very good for paint.

Edit - Yeah it also looks like washing up liquid, probably a lot of it as well. Good luck. :D

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I've tried to clean my girlfriends car windscreen. As you can see from the picture there seems to be something on it. I've tried AG glass polish, AB Crystal, Halfrauds glass cut and claying. The screen dries clear with no streaks but when you spray the washers it ends up like this. The wiper blades are clean. Could it be the washer fluid?

I've ordered some IPA. Will this help? I've heard it's serious stuff. What dilution ratio should I use?

Any advise much appreciated?
Carpro Ceriglass polish will work. Its an oxide abrasive that can be used by hand or machine.

http://www.carpro.uk.com/ceriglass-glass-polish-cleaner-150ml/

Richard

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I've flushed the system through twice and the washer bottle doesn't foam now when filled. I've adjusted the nozzles so at least it's spraying the screen not the car behind!

The wiper blades could probably do with changing as we'll

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.