Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a car up for sale the other day and all I keep getting is stupid offers. One guy turned up today had a drive and said £400 mate ermmm no it's up for £650... WTF ::wall:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
He's just an idiot. Stick with it :thumb:

I sold a SLK a few months back and I hadn't sold a car privately for ages. There were some right idiots emailing me etc with stupid offers and quite offensive to be honest but the first one who viewed it bought it. You only need the one right buyer.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Was thinking this my self today once I replace my head gasket Im going to be selling but was wanting to sell after winter anyway an ddidnt want to spend money on it but had to so not sure to keep it over winter till the snow settles down and then give it a good detail with the da ect and see if it gets any more intrest but if it doesn't sell within 2 weeks then it will be gettin put in auction with a reserve price

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did say to him that if it didn't have a few problems it would be up for £800 so knocked abit off to help them out but they always want more off no matter what you put :(.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have to be honest im someone who expects something off (so im one of those idiots ;) ) asking price no matter if its a dealer or private seller. If they dont want to budge I dont bother buying. I would have offered £400 too, expecting to end deal round £525-550. Bit of wheeling dealing is always good :)
Other side of this, theres always a buyer out there and it only takes the one! So best of luck selling.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you should expect to have to move a bit on price. I'm sure you do the same when you buy a car either from a garage or private sale?
But thats the thing I have it would of been £800 without the small problems but decided to knock abit off so asked £650 but he didnt get that. I even ended up saying I'll knock 6 months tax off as it's due end of next month so £575 but nope never replied.

·
Premium Member
7,256 Posts
People only look at the screen price, they don't care if you are reducing it because of other issues. Put it up at £800, list the faults and you will get closer to £650 than advertising it at £650, for. £650 I'd expect to pay around £500/550

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
To be honest a £400 bid on a £650 car isn't bad, nobody turns up and pays asking unless it's really worth it and there is a que of people. The difficult bit is getting them to turn up ;)
Agree totally especailly if it has issues too.

I bought the Jeep for £775 it was up for £950.

I think you need a sense of reality here....whilst you are being honest and telling a potential buyer there are some issues they dont know you from Adam and its a risk on their part.

If he offered you £400 you should have gone back with a counter offer untill you met at a mutually agreeable figure.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Difficult to say really whether it was a good offer or a pee take as we don't know the car or the condition / mileage etc. It could be a decent offer if the car is actually worth closer to it or it could be chancers if it is worth more.

I have sold oldies with no tax for asking price and others I have taken offers on, you will know what is fair.

Either way, if it is priced right and good value, at that money the right buyer will be along shortly so stick to your guns. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
You cant be offended by that. No one in their right mind would give asking price on a private sale, its almost an unwritten rule. Thats why you mark the price up! You'll get what you realistically want for it and the buyer thinks they've done a good bit of haggling, if you really wanted £650 then as you've said if it was faultless it would be up for £800.
So put it up for £800 let the buyer pick the faults out and try to haggle to adjust the price accordingly

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I used to be a Salesman at Citroen and I can assure you 99.9% of people will always want something off the price.

Having said that, I just bought a new car and got offered a silly price trade in (I understand why being from the trade) but for personal reasons I decided to try and sell the cars with their faults on Facebook Car Sale Groups.

The one I wanted more money for, I put up for £600 and told the faults, was completely honest in every way. A Gentleman drove from Cardiff down to Cornwall to see the car the same day he saw it on Facebook, had a quick spin.

"So do you like the car?" ......"Yes"
"Do you want the car?" ........"Yes"
"Lets go and sign the log book" ...... :) Didn't even mention the price and I got every penny of what I wanted.

I know it's a bit of a salesman trick'ish' kind of thing but I would say that you should bump up the price, even if only by £100...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I sold my honda CTR within 5days of advertising it on pistonheads. Advertised it at. £11350 and took £10800, that's a first for me, sold and bought another car privately all within a week
I only paid £10350 for the CTR 3 month ago

You got to ask for more,buyers will feel a lot more comfortable with a sale if they think there getting a good deal

·
Registered
216 Posts
Agree totally especailly if it has issues too.

I bought the Jeep for £775 it was up for £950.

I think you need a sense of reality here....whilst you are being honest and telling a potential buyer there are some issues they dont know you from Adam and its a risk on their part.

If he offered you £400 you should have gone back with a counter offer untill you met at a mutually agreeable figure.
"sense of reality" nick_mcuk - did you had the HPOE training a few years back ;)

To the OP, I completely agree with the others though. Expect to have a bit of negotiation. If £650 is what you want, I would be advertising at £795 ish.

Remember you can only negotiation down, not up!

Good Luck....

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
"sense of reality" nick_mcuk - did you had the HPOE training a few years back ;)

To the OP, I completely agree with the others though. Expect to have a bit of negotiation. If £650 is what you want, I would be advertising at £795 ish.

Remember you can only negotiation down, not up!

Good Luck....
Lol HPOE is constantly in use here at work. Do you work for the "big X" too?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.